- Parents should be registered members of St. Joseph Catholic Church – Honey Creek. If the parents are not registered members of this parish, a Letter of Permission must be secured from their parish of registration or their church according to the parish boundaries prior to scheduling an appointment.
- Parents and godparents must attend a Baptismal Preparation Class. If a godparent lives out of town and is unable to attend the Baptism Preparation Class at our parish, they must provide a letter from their home parish stating they have completed a Baptism Preparation Class there. Parents should meet with the Celebrant first and will then be referred to a Baptismal Preparation Class. Classes are offered once a month in both English and Spanish.
- Call Faith Formation Office (830-980-2268), to schedule an appointment with the Celebrant.
- Only one godparent is required, but having two (one godfather and one godmother) is customary.
- A godparent must be Catholic, practicing the Catholic faith.
- A baptized, non-Catholic may serve as a Christian witness, but may not be a godparent.
- A godparent must be 16 years or older.
- A godparent must have received all Sacraments of Initiation (Baptism, 1st Eucharist, and Confirmation).
- If married, a godparent must be married in the Catholic Church.
- A godparent must complete a Baptismal Preparation Class either at our parish or at their home parish which will provide a letter of completion for the course to be presented to the Pastor's Secretary prior to the Baptism.
- Pictures may be taken during the ceremony by anyone except the parents and godparents. The Celebrant will be happy to pose for photographs after the ceremony.
- It is customary that godparents provide many of the gifts utilized in Baptism. These articles will be blest during the ceremony and may include, but are not limited to, a Baptismal Garment, Baptismal Candle, Bible, Rosary, Scapular, Prayer Book, Cross, Statue, Crucifix or a Shell (used for pouring of holy water). A candle and a white cloth may be provided by the parish if desired.
- If the Baptism is occurring after a scheduled Mass, please encourage family and friends to attend that Mass. Otherwise, please come 15 minutes prior to the ceremony.